I have been reading more ebooks lately mainly because of convenience. It is easier to bring an e-reader, phone or tablet around and the number of books you can store in it is just endless (depends on your device’s storage capacity). Another thing I like about reading an ebook is I can read while laying down on my bed with the lights off (I know this is bad for my eyes but laziness always kicks in when it comes to having to stand up just to turn off the lights, hehe). Anyway, I have tried a lot of apps but Moon+Reader takes the spot for the best ebook reader, at least for me.
Things that I like:
- Supports an array of formats – epub, mobi, chm, cbr, cbz, umd, fb2, txt, html, rar, and zip. I was really happy to see that it supports cbr files because now I don’t have to download another app to read comic books.
- Variety of visual options – It has preset themes (day and night theme) you can use and customize to your liking which is great because you can set it according to your reading preference. You can change the background and font colors as well as adjust the font size and brightness so you don’t have a hard time reading your favorite books.
- Scrolling – You can also customize the way you scroll through pages (tap screen, swipe or use volume keys)
- It also has a reading time out. It notifies you when you have been reading for an hour and sets a countdown timer (a minute) reminding you to rest your eyes.
- It allows you to input notes, highlight texts and add bookmarks which you can review in summarized bullet form.
- It shows your reading progress – how much you finished in a book, time spent reading (including the day you started) and calculates your reading speed (words/minute)
- It is also free for download in Android.
I like the convenience of ebooks but traditional reading is still more euphoric – the smell of new(and old) books, pure bliss.